Avatar photo

By Citizen Reporter

Journalist


Daily news update: DA’s Gwen Ngwenya resigns, Facebook rapist whistleblower goes into hiding, and R7m spent on energy for ministers

Here’s your morning news update: An easy-to-read selection of our top stories.


Here’s your morning news update: An easy-to-read selection of our top stories. Stay up to date with The Citizen – More News, Your Way.

Daily news update: 27 March

Gwen Ngwenya quits DA ahead of congress

Gwen Ngwenya has resigned from the Democratic Alliance (DA) for the second time ahead of the party’s federal congress.

Ngwenya reportedly left her position as DA head of policy to the party’s leadership this week despite having completed all her preparations for the elective conference.

While the now former DA member refrained from commenting on her future, the party’s federal council chairperson, Helen Zille confirmed that Ngwenya had accepted an “excellent position” in the private sector.

“This is an incredible opportunity that no political party in South Africa can offer [her]. The DA is sorry to lose Gwen, but we wish her all the best,” Zille told City Press.

Read more here

Facebook rapist whistleblower fears for his life

‘Facebook rapist’ Thabo Bester is seen on a television screen in the Western Cape High Court on 2 May 2012. Picture: Gallo Images / The Times / Shelley Christians

The person who blew the whistle on “Facebook rapist”, Thabo Bester has reportedly gone into hiding at an undisclosed location after receiving numerous threatening phone calls.

Last year, Nkosinathi Sekeleni exposed Bester’s relationship with celebrity doctor Nandipha Magudumana as the country learnt recently that the convicted rapist and murderer is still alive.

The Department of Correctional Services (DCS) confirmed on Saturday that Bester had indeed escaped from the Mangaung Correctional Centre in Bloemfontein, Free State.

The convict was believed to have died in a fire that broke out in his cell at the prison on 3 May 2022.

However, it has since emerged that the DNA of the body found in the cell did not match to Bester, who was convicted in 2012.

Read more here

R7 million spent on alternative power supply for ministers

Cabinet ministers Gwede Mantashe, Mondli Gungubele and deputy minister David Masondo. Photo: GCIS

As the country continues to experience load shedding, at least R7 million has been spent on alternative power supply for ministers’ official residencies since June 2019.

This was revealed by new Public Works and Infrastructure Minister Sihle Zikalala in response to written questions by Democratic Alliance (DA) MP Leon Schreiber.

All ministers and their deputies have two official home in Pretoria, Gauteng and Cape Town, Western Cape.

In a cost breakdown, Zikalala confirmed that his department has spent just over R18.3 million on electricity alone for minister and their deputies’ homes in Cape Town, while R7.4 million has been forked out for water.

Read more here

Thuso and Charlize team up to help SA youth

Thuso Mbedu and Charlize Theron. Picture: Instagram @thuso.mbedu

Some of South Africa’s best exports Thuso Mbedu and Charlize Theron are doing their bit to help the region of Southern Africa. 

The award-winning actors were spotted together over the weekend in West Hollywood for Charlize Theron’s Africa Outreach Project (CTAOP) anniversary. 

Thuso said it was a privilege to attend Charlize’s event and witness the work she has done for the youth for the past decade and a half. 

Thuso and Charlize took selfies together as they celebrated young leaders in Southern Africa.

Taking to Instagram to praise Charlize, The Woman King actor wrote: “I had the privilege of celebrating 15 years of service with @ctaop. To witness the massive change that @charlizeafrica and the team have done was not only awe-inspiring but it also filled me with so much hope. In those young leaders who have been actively impacted – there’s great hope for a better future.”

Read more here

De Kock carries Proteas to victory in record breaking T20 clash

South Africa pulled off a stunning victory, spearheaded by opening batter Quinton de Kock, as they secured a spectacular six-wicket win over West Indies in a record-shattering T20 International in Centurion.

Chasing an intimidating target of 259 runs to win, the Proteas got off to a thunderous start, with De Kock and Reeza Hendricks combining in a massive 158-run stand for the first wicket.

De Kock raced to his half-century off 15 deliveries, racking up the fifth quickest T20I fifty and the fastest by a South African. He reached the milestone two balls quicker than he did against England in Durban three years ago, bettering his own national mark.

Raymon Reifer managed to stop the carnage in the 11th over when he had De Kock caught behind for 100 runs off 44 balls. His maiden T20I century, achieved at a strike rate of 227.27, included nine fours and eight sixes.

Read more here

Access premium news and stories

Access to the top content, vouchers and other member only benefits