While admitting the ANC’s numerous failures in local government, Ramaphosa said the 1 November polls would herald a new era of accountability and consequences for wrongdoing in ANC municipalities.
FULL TEXT: Ramaphosa asks voters for another chance
The party has pledged for the next five years – among other promises – it will focus on getting service delivery right, creating job opportunities and hiring municipal staff who are competent and experienced.
Basic municipal services
- Improve the maintenance of water and sewerage infrastructure and reduce water leaks.
- Improiving access to free basic services like water and electricity to indigent households.
- Providing safe, affordable and reliable supply of electricity to every South African home.
- Creating new economic opportunities for workers and communities.
- Redistributing land for farming, housing and running businesses.
- Upgrading informal settlements and changing municipal zoning practices to better integrate housing, recreation facilities and economic opportunities.
- Amend or repeal restrictive by-laws on trading, land use, urban production of crops and other regulations that prevent people from earning a living.
- End the outsourcing of essential local government functions, end the practice of labour broking and work to create sustainable municipal jobs.
- Hiring municipal staff who are competent and experienced.
- Act speedily against officials conducting business with municipalities and against those implicated in maladministration.
- Focus on school feeding schemes and soup kitchens to fight hunger in communities, including making municipal land available for community and cooperative food gardens.
- Rebuild and rehabilitate sports and arts and culture facilities to create programmes and opportunities, especially for young people and women.
- Tackle crime and corruption as well as violence against vunerable groups.
Read the full ANC LGE manifesto below:
Compiled by Thapelo Lekabe