Tshepo Ntsoelengoe
Football Writer
2 minute read
4 Nov 2021
5:57 pm

Replayed AmaZulu, Gallants clash ends in dull goalless draw

Tshepo Ntsoelengoe

The game was abandoned after just 10 minutes on Wednesday following a clash of jersey colours.

Thabo Mnyamane of Marumo Gallants challenged by Tercious Malepe of AmaZulu during the DStv Premiership 2021/22 match at King Zwelithini Stadium, Umlazi on Wednesday. (Pic Sydney Mahlangu/BackpagePix)

The replayed DStv Premiership match between AmaZulu FC and Marumo Gallants ended goalless, with the sides unable to capitalise on the half chances created, especially by the visitors at the King Zwelithini Stadium on Thursday.

ALSO READ: PSL makes a decision on abandoned AmaZulu, Gallants clash

The game was abandoned after just 10 minutes on Wednesday following a clash of jersey colours.

The first half belonged to Gallants, who created a number of chances, will many falling to Thabo Mnyamane and Sede Dion, while AmaZulu looked pretty good on the ball, but they had nothing much to show for it with the side failing to take shots at goals.

A well taken set-piece by Mnyamane in the fourth minute looked goal-bound, but AmaZulu keeper Veli Mothwa made a good save, parrying the ball away for a corner.

The visitors were on attack again on the right side and Dion was unlucky not to give them the lead when his long range shot in the 22nd minute was fisted onto the crossbar by Mothwa.

AmaZulu coach Benni McCarthy looked to be frustrated with his team’s failure to test Washington Arubi at Gallants goals. The chance came through for Tercious Malepe just before half-time, but he failed to control the ball inside the box.

The second half became a very balanced game, with the home side finally getting into the box of the opponents, but there were still no goals coming past the 70th minute.

AmaZulu came close to stealing the show with Sphesihle Maduna’s header in the 80th minute, but Arubi was well positioned to make a save with the ball on target.

Mnyamane got an opportunity to produce a moment of magic for the away side in the last five minutes with a free-kick from just outside the box, but the winger’s attempt was blocked by the Usuthu wall.

In the end, both sides left the pitch with a point, with Gallants remaining rooted at the bottom of the league standings with no win and four points after eight games. As for Usuthu, it was a disappointing result at home taking their point tally to 11 from nine games and they occupy ninth spot on the log.