Create these delicious toffee apples ahead of your New Year’s Eve celebrations to impress your party guests.
Make use of different treats such as nuts, sprinkles and other smaller coloured candies to decorate your toffee apples and give them different mouthwatering flavours.
If toffee is not your favourite, then you can coat your apples in your preferred caramel sauce or chocolate sauce.
- 8 large tart apples
- 8 wooden chopsticks for handles
- 1 cup of butter
- 2 cups of packed brown sugar
- 1 cup of light corn syrup
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Dip apples in boiling water for a few seconds, then dry with paper towels to remove any wax from the peels. Set apples aside; when completely cool, insert a wooden chopstick firmly into the bottom of each apple for a handle.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Stir butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, and sweetened condensed milk together in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and reduce heat to medium. Cook until a candy thermometer reads 248 degrees F (120°C), 25 to 30 minutes; stir constantly to prevent burning. A teaspoon of the syrup, dropped in a glass of cold water, should form a firm ball. Remove caramel from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Working quickly, dip each apple into the hot caramel to completely coat the apple and about 1/2 inch of the wooden handle. Sprinkle apples with any desired toppings while still hot. Let caramel apples cool on the parchment paper. Use caution, caramel is very hot.
This recipe was found on allrecipes.com