NewsNewsSchools

Limpopo matric exams a success

"We seldom here reports of leaked papers, and papers arriving late but our school never had such problems"

Matrics across the country will collectively give a sigh of relief today as the national final exams draw to a close. Especially learners in Limpopo will carry a bright smile that this academic year is over after their province’s questionable textbook delivery scandal and below par results in previous years. According to the Limpopo department of education, the 2013 matrics went well and the spokesperson for the department, Ms Phuti Seloba, highlighted that they did not experience any hassles this year. “Our preparations went according to plan, question papers arrived on time and there were no leaked exams papers. “More than 80 000 learners wrote this year’s exams and we are confident there will be improvements in the pass rate,” said Seloba. She added that the department started marking the papers last Monday on 25 November. “Our marking experts have already finished with Maths paper one,” added Seloba. Seloba’s statements brought relieve to most locals as Limpopo was among the provinces that were a concern to Umalusi (the exam watchdog). There were reports that Umalusi feared that there might not be the smooth running of exams because the education department was under administration. During the exams Steelburger/Lydenburg News visited several schools in and around Tubatse. Principals and learners were pleased with the exam arrangements. “We seldom here of reports of papers being leaked, or arriving late but this year our school never experienced such problems. I applaud the department; it’s only left to us to pass,” said Matshidiso Mpheti of Mmiditsi secondary. Principal of Sehlaku Jacob Moshoana also confirmed that his school did not experience problems related to exams. Meanwhile the Basic education minister Angie Motshekga said that the only problems that were reported were minor. “There had been however no major problems, we are happy to report that thus far this year’s National senior certificate (NCS) has seen no major incidents. We only received reports of pupils falling sick; being caught with cellphones and an earth tremor in Johannesburg,” the minister told the media last Friday. All provinces will get underway with the marking on 1 December. The matric results for Limpopo will be announced on January 6. For the Mpumalanga province, everything seemed to go according to plan as well. The Mpumalanga Department of Education recently announced that they were satisfied with the way it has progressed so far. “There have been no challenges reported since the examination commenced on 28 October 2013”, Mandisa Ndlovu, Media Liason and Monitoring Communication Officer of the Mpumalanga Department of Education said. The examination will end with learners writing Consumer Studies, Hospitality Studies and Sport and Exercise Science on 29 November 2013. “We urge our learners to stay focused and study until the last day of the examination” the MEC for Education, Mrs Reginah Mhaule said. “We are thankful to all whose task is to make sure that everything progress as expected living no stone unturned to deliver an incident free and credible examination”, Mhaule said. Marking will commence on 29 November 2013 in 18 marking centres, including Hoërskool Lydenburg, and the results will be announced on 07 January 2014.

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Lowvelder in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button