
NELSPRUIT – Mr Edwin Cruywagen appeared on a charge of attempted murder and the case was postponed for judgement to April 7. Cruywagen was initially charged with murder, but the charge was changed to that of attempted murder when it came to light that his former wife opted for euthanasia in Europe. Cruywagen is accused of attacking his wife, Francis, on the night of June 21, 2011. Prosecutor Mr Michael Mazibuko stated that the state had proven without a reasonable doubt that Cruywagen was guilty.
He said the fact that the accused had gone to a friend’s house that night and had said to his friend, who had testified previously, that he had killed Francis and also the testimony of the security guard, Mr George Mohlahla who had stated that Cruywagen had begged him to kill him for what he had done to his wife, ruled out the accused’s defence that it was attackers not known to him who had committed the crime. “Nothing was stolen from the property, there was no forced entry and they had vicious dogs so the possibility of unknown attackers is totally unfounded.”
Cruywagen was initially charged with murder, but a source close to the deceased’s family stated that Francis had survived the attack and after a long period of being treated in Mediclinic Nelspruit, she had to been taken to Macadamia Clinic as she required constant care. “Her family then took her to Holland where she was euthanised. She didn’t want to live like that. She couldn’t walk or talk as she had severe brain damage.”
Francis passed away about a year after the incident.
