CrimeHard newsNewsNewsUpdate

Human trafficking trial: Expert finds evidence of abuse

A doctor specialising in child-abuse injuries testified in the local Magistrate's Court

GRASKOP – On Thursday,  a doctor specialising in child-abuse injuries testified in the local Magistrate’s Court, in the trial of two accused who had allegedly trafficked five girls from Mozambique to South Africa for sexual purposes.

Dr Susanna Grabe testified that she had found physical evidence that the victims had been sexually penetrated.

Grabe also gave a background on her expertise and told the court she had studied suspected child abuse at the San Diego Hospital in California. Besides having a private practice, she also lectured part-time at the University of Pretoria medical forensics.

She showed a diagram of a vagina and explained where she had found the injuries. She told the court that, in less than 10 per cent of rape cases, there were physical findings.

Businessman Mr Lloyd Mabuza (60) and his accomplice Ms Violet Chauke (20) are being charged with various crimes relating to human trafficking for sexual purposes.

The girls were apparently held at a compound in Rhenosterhoek near Sabie. They were alleged to have been brought to South Africa under false pretences of attending school and to have a better life. One of them managed to escape and the others were then rescued in 2012.

Both accused had previously pleaded not guilty to all charges.

The girls had already all testified in camera. Officials of the Mozambique Government were in court to witness the proceedings. The trial continues.

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Lowvelder in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button