CrimeLocal newsNewsNewsUpdate

Three dead, four injured, and one missing in taxi collision

There is still no sign of the taxi driver involved in Monday night’s accident on the N4 near Komatipoort in which three people were killed and another four people injured.

KOMATIPOORT – There is still no sign of the taxi driver involved in Monday night’s accident on the N4 near Komatipoort in which three people were killed and another four people injured.

It is reported that the taxi experienced mechanical failure, and the three deceased were pushing it to the nearest petrol station, when a truck came from behind and collided with the taxi’s trailer, fatally injuring all of them.

According to a media statement by ER24,the three victims died instantly. “On assessment, paramedics found that three men had been dismembered and succumbed to their fatal injuries,” read ER24’s media release.

Four other victims were treated by Emergency Services personal (EMS) for minor and moderate injuries on the scene before being transported to Tonga Hospital. The driver of the taxi had fled the since by the time police and EMS arrived at the scene.

The accident resulted in the closure of the N4 after the accident happened at 20:40.

According to TRAC’s spokesman, Ms Solange Soares, the closure affected traffic flow heavily, and caused major traffic congestions in both directions.

“The road was closed for about six hours, and traffic was heavily backed up in both directions. The closure affected some of the freight trucks negatively as they were unable to make the 22:00 border closing time. Some of the trucks could only cross the border on Tuesday morning,” explained Soares.

Meanwhile, the MEC for Department of Community Safety, Security and Liaison, Mr Vusi Shongwe, conveyed his condolences to the bereaved families and also wished those who were injured a speedy recovery.

The spokesman for the Nkomazi Local Municipality, Mr Cyril Ripinga, also conveyed their condolences, and expressed concerns with regards to the number of accidents caused by and involving trucks.

He said, “We are definitely concerned with the number of accidents happening in the municipality, particularly those caused by and involving trucks. We send our condolences to all the bereaved families. We are also pleading with all motorists to be vigilant at all times.”

At time of going to press spokesman for community safety, security and liaison, Mr Joseph Mabuza, was unable to confirm the whereabouts of the missing driver.

He said, “Usually some drivers who are involved in accidents run away right after the accident, because so many things happen in the human mind. However, they normally return to the accident scene, sadly the driver in this particular case was nowhere to be found at the scene and are still at large.”

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Lowvelder in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button