
BARBERTON- On Saturday at approximately 19:00, a 23-year old prisoner died at Barberton Town Youth Centre.
The incident took place after 19 isolated offenders started a fire by setting alight mattresses, linen and clothing. One prisoner sustained serious third degree burns and has been transported to Mbombela’s Rob Ferreira Hospital where he was still being treated on Sunday afternoon.
Barberton Emergency Medical Services assisted after rapid response and transported the other prisoners to Barberton General Hospital.
Apart from one offender, who has been released, the remaining 16 offenders were still receiving medical attention for smoke inhalation on Sunday afternoon.

Chief Deputy Commissioner of Incarceration and Corrections, James Smalberger, who flew from Johannesburg to Barberton earlier during the day, addressed the media on Sunday afternoon, saying that the Department were saddened by this tragic incident.
Speaking on behalf of the Minister of Justice and Correctional Services Adv. Michael Masutha (MP), Deputy Minister Thabang Makwetla (MP) and Acting National Commissioner Zach Modise, he said “I wish to convey our condolences to the family of the deceased offender who passed on last night during a fire incident. We also wish all those injured a speedy recovery,”
Investigations into what caused the incident were started by the SAPS Crime Intelligence team on Saturday evening. On Monday morning, a DCS investigations team from outside of Barberton will also launch an investigation.
Zack Modise, the Acting National Commissioner said “This is a terrible incident that we shall investigate thoroughly with the SAPS,” and continued “We will uncover what caused this and we shall take the necessary steps to prevent a recurrence of this nature.”
On being questioned by the media as to what was used to start the fire, Smalberger said that its pending the investigation and that he is reluctant to jump to conclusions, but confirmed that prisoners were allowed to carry matches. He said that many of the inmates smoke and to take away this privilege is to take away one of their human rights.
On the question of additional charges being laid against the offenders that started the fire, he said that he has only briefly spoken to one of the offenders, and this is also pending further investigation. Smalberger went on giving examples of what happened at other prisons during similar incidents, but stressed that it is only an example of what the outcome might be. He said that it is not ruled out that charges of murder, arson and damage of property might still be laid against the offenders.
Smalberger repeated a call to all offenders to raise any concerns with the local management as well as the Judicial Inspectorate of Correctional Services. He said “The Department will ensure that this incident will not impact negatively on the offenders who are writing matric and the Department will ensure that students receive the necessary support.”
Although the media were earlier on assured that they would be able to visit the scene of the crime, in the end this did not materialize. Smalberger explained that being a crime scene and having other prisoners around, he could not allow it.
The name of the deceased has not yet been released.
