CrimeHard newsNewsNews

Public violence trial postponed due to accused’s absence

An ill accused's absence led to the case being postponed. It is alleged that the accused ransacked the home of ANC ward councillor Ms Elizabeth Maziya in 2012.

MBOMBELA – One of three accused in a public violence case was unable to attend trial due to illness and the case was consequently postponed to May 7.

The three accused were originally part of a group of 11 charged with committing public violence after it was alleged that they had ransacked the home of ANC ward councillor Ms Elizabeth Maziya in 2012.

Lowvelder previously reported that eight of the accused had been acquitted, as photographic evidence presented against the accused could not link them to the alleged crime beyond reasonable doubt.

Ms Celiwe Nkambule, Mr Innocent Nkosi and Mr Nthomfuthi Khoza will return to the Nelspruit Regional Court in May to present their case.

According to Mr Promise Mashaba, one of the other eight who were originally charged along with Nkambule, Nkosi and Khoza, the accused protested against corruption. Mashaba said their arrest was a ploy by Maziya to silence them. “We have been protesting corrupt appointments made by Maziya, among others, for a long time. It is our outcry that led to our arrest. We did not commit the crimes that we have been charged with,” Mashaba said.

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Lowvelder in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button