Local news

Chief Clyde Mnisi gunned down near White River

Chief Clyde Mnisi was expected to appear in the Mpumalanga High Court in April to face charges relating to rhino poaching. He was shot and killed on Sunday night, March 26.

Chief Clyde Mnisi (37) from Bohlabela in the Ehlanzeni District was fatally shot, allegedly multiple times, next to the KMI Airport road near White River late on Sunday night, March 26.

A provincial police spokesperson, Brigadier Selvy Mohlala, said in a statement that the incident had occurred at 23:10.

Mnisi was due to appear in the Mpumalanga High Court on April 17. The matter relates to rhino poaching offences and money laundering.

ALSO READ: Man accused of White River shooting released as investigations continue

Mohlala said Mnisi was travelling as a passenger in a Toyota Avanza when one of the vehicle’s tyres was punctured. The driver stopped on the roadside and was waiting for assistance to change the tyre, when a group of about five heavily armed men wearing balaclavas and gloves drove up to the Avanza in a BMW X5.

Mohlala said the armed men climbed out of the BMW carrying high-calibre rifles, and went straight to the passenger side where Mnisi was sitting.

He said the shooters reportedly said something to Mnisi, although it is unclear what, before opening fire on the chief.

Mnisi died on the scene, reportedly due to the multiple gunshot wounds he had sustained.

Mohlala said the Avanza’s driver was shot in the leg before the gunmen fled the scene in the BMW. The driver is currently receiving medical treatment for his injury.

ALSO READ: Man fatally shot in White River

“The White River police were alerted about the incident and upon arrival, a case of murder with an additional charge of attempted murder was opened and is under investigation,” said Mohlala.

According to the Mpumalanga National Prosecuting Authority’s spokesperson, Monica Nyuswa, Mnisi had been arrested and charged along with the late Petros Sidney Mabuza, known to many as Mshengu, before his death on June 17, 2021. Mabuza was shot multiple times in Hazyview and died as he was taken to Kiaat Private Hospital in Mbombela that same afternoon.

Nyuswa said Mnisi’s matter had been on the Mpumalanga High Court’s roll for trial between April 17 and May 19 this year.

The Mpumalanga Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation’s (Hawks) spokesperson, Captain Dineo Sekgotodi, told Lowvelder the case had initially been investigated by the late Lieutenant Colonel Leroy Bruwer, who was shot and killed on his way to work on March 17, 2020.

With Mnisi and Mabuza now dead, the remaining accused in the matter due to appear in court next month are Claude Lubisi, Joseph Nyalunga, Aretha Mhlanga and Rachel Qwebana.

Mohlala said no one has been arrested thus far, and the police urge anyone with information to call the Crime Stop number on 08600 10111. Alternatively, send information via the My SAPS app. All received information will be treated as confidential and callers may opt to remain anonymous.


Back to top button