Man accused of killing girlfriend in Soweto appears in court after fleeing to North West

Phakathi appeared before the Orlando Magistrate's Court facing a murder charge after his 37-year-old girlfriend was found stabbed in Soweto.


The boyfriend, who allegedly murdered his girlfriend in Soweto and then fled to North West, where he was arrested after assistance from the media and social media, has appeared in court.

Simiso Silomo Phakathi, 27, made his first appearance before the Orlando Magistrate’s Court on Friday, facing a murder charge following the death of his 37-year-old girlfriend, Josephine Tshabalala.

Phakathi accused of killing girlfriend in Orlando

The suspect appeared in court after he was arrested in Klerksdorp on Wednesday, 19 August, with the assistance of media houses and social media users.

About four hours before Phakathi’s arrest, the South African Police Service (Saps) released his details and picture, asking for help to find the wanted man for Tshabalala’s death.

He allegedly lived with her in the same backroom in Orlando, Soweto.

On 13 August, the property owner contacted the police after Tshabalala’s body was discovered in her room. The woman had sustained a stab wound and multiple bruises.

“It is alleged that Tshabalala was last seen during the early hours of 8 August 2026 in the company of Phakathi. A tenant residing on the same premises reportedly heard the two arguing that day,” National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) communications officer Magaboke Mohlatlole said.

“Phakathi was subsequently seen leaving the premises on 8 August 2026 and allegedly did not return thereafter.”

North West police nab Phakathi

After the police released the suspect’s details, members of the Joubertina community provided the cops with critical information after recognising him from his photograph. His picture had been circulated across television, radio, social media and online platforms.

The North West police nabbed Phakathi, and law enforcement transported him back to Johannesburg, where he appeared in court for murdering his girlfriend on Friday.

Orlando Magistrate’s Court postponed the matter to 28 August 2026 for the accused to obtain legal aid.

“The NPA will continue to ensure that the matter is prosecuted in the interests of justice,” Mohlatlole said.

Dimpane commends community and media for helping with arrest

Meanwhile, following Phakathi’s arrest, acting national commissioner of the Saps Lieutenant General Puleng Dimpane commended the Joubertina community for responding quickly to the police’s call for assistance and media houses for amplifying the police’s plea.

“More can be achieved when communities and the media support the work of the police. The swift response from the people of Klerksdorp shows that communities have a critical role to play in keeping our country safe,” she said.

“We thank every person who shared the suspect’s photograph, provided information and helped us bring him within reach of the law.”

Dimpane also urged communities to continue speaking up and providing information to the police whenever they recognise wanted suspects.

“Saps reiterates that there is no hiding place for perpetrators of serious and violent crimes. Those who commit such crimes will be pursued relentlessly, wherever they may be, until they are brought before a court of law,” police spokesperson Brigadier Athlenda Mathe said.