Trade union federation Cosuta says it was under no obligation to inform the ANC prior to its press briefing that President Jacob Zuma had been prohibited from addressing the union federation’s gatherings.
This was in a response to a statement sent by the ANC after Cosatu’s announcement on April 23.
In that statement, the ANC said it had noted the public statement following the special central executive committee of Cosatu “that President Jacob Zuma will no longer be welcomed to address Cosatu activities”.
The ANC elaborated that, as it “has not received any formal communication in this regard, we [ANC] therefore, won’t make any comments until such time there is an engagement with Cosatu”.
Cosatu spokesperson Sizwe Pamla, speaking to The Citizen, said Cosatu was accountable to its workers, and “they have decided that Zuma must no longer address their gatherings. We communicated that”.
On whether Cosatu may have violated long-standing tradition in the alliance of internal communication mechanisms before alliance decisions are communicated to the public, Pamla dismissed that.
“The secretariat of Cosatu will write the letter mentioned to the ANC,” he said, and emphasised there was no requirement to do so before the press conference
Meanwhile, Cosatu has informed the media that it has “forgiven” Sdumo Dlamini for attending Zuma’s birthday party despite a decision having been taken that he must step down.